Lend me your ears!
Wait. That’s a different post–lend me your tongues! And make them beef, please. The tongue is just another muscle, with nothing stringy or fibrous about it, contrary to your imagination. When cooked slowly it becomes meltingly tender, similar in texture to pulled pork. Tongue is an inexpensive cut of meat and this recipe delivers a lot of flavor for not very much time in the kitchen. Try it out and feel proud you just upped your offal ante.
Slow Cooked Spicy Beef Tongue
- 1 beef tongue
- 1 small onion chopped in half
- 4 garlic cloves smashed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- filtered water
- 1/2 pound tomatoes 2 or 3 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1/2 onion minced
- 1/2 jalapeno minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- sea salt
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 and 1/2 cups of your favorite salsa right!
Place whole tongue in slow cooker and cover with filtered water. then add in the onion, garlic, bay leaves and sea salt. Cook on high for 6 hours, or on low overnight.
- Remove tongue from liquid and while it's still hot peel off and discard the skin (it will come off easily while the tongue is hot or just cooled briefly).
- Place tongue in a bowl and using a few forks begin to separate the meat until all meat is pulled apart.
- In a large skillet, heat some olive oil and saute the onions until translucent. Add the tomatoes, jalapeno and garlic. Allow to cook down briefly, about 10 minutes.
- Add in the meat and lime juice and cook until sticky and delicious.
- Taste and add more salt if necessary.
- If using the jar of salsa, omit the fresh tomatoes, onion, jalapeno and lime and simply cook the meat with the salsa, garlic and salt to taste.
- I like to serve sprinkled with raw or pickled onions, cilantro and more lime juice, all rolled into a lettuce leaf. Nom, guys.